Can You Reduce Your Risk for Dementia?
Because there is still no cure for dementia, researchers have been focusing on the way to prevent instead. While some factors like age and family history cannot be controlled, studies have shown that certain healthy habits have been effective in preventing and delaying some of the symptoms of dementia. In addition, they are also effective in reducing the risk of other chronic conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, osteoporosis and more.
Fight dementia by doing these healthy lifestyle habits into your daily routine:
- Exercise regularly.
There are a lot of advantages from exercise. Many researches have shown that it may help protect the brain as well. Exercise gets the blood flowing, and increases the number of small blood vessels that supply blood to the brain. Plus, exercise also helps stimulate the brain’s ability to maintain connections and make new ones that are vital in healthy cognition.
- Keep the brain stimulated.
Intellectual stimulation is related with a lower risk for dementia; therefore spending some of your free tome every day to keep your brain active can prevent dementia. You can try an activity as simple as memorizing shopping lists. Or, keep crossword puzzles.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. A healthy diet also helps you maintain an ideal weight and reduce the risk for other chronic conditions.
- Avoid isolation. Find activities that you like and keep you involved with social groups, like volunteering, joining a club, taking a senior fitness class, or having lunch with family or friends.
- Manage stress levels. Chronic stress leads to decline in a key memory area of the brain, which hampers nerve growth. You just need to stay positive.
- Get quality sleep. Adults need at least seven to eight hours of sleep a day. Deep sleep is necessary for the mind to recover, form memories, and flush out toxins. Create a relaxing bedtime routine to make sure you’re sleeping as soundly as possible.
Moreover, bad habits like smoking or excessive drinking that have negative effects on the body can have the same negative effects on the mind. Cut these habits out of your life as soon as possible.